14 December, 2009

When Peter Pan Came to My House

I've almost forgotten what my hair looks like in its natural state. Looking in the mirror recently, I noticed that more blonde is showing at the roots than has in a long time. I also noticed that with the blonde, there's also a substantial increase in gray and it got me to thinking. I'm not exactly old, but as I said in conversation with Danielle yesterday, it feels like I've lived a few lifetimes at least these past few years, with this year being one of the most eventful of them all, and it's not over quite yet. The Earth Ox has been stumbling of late - growing arthritic in its decline, maybe? I'm hoping it'll rally its strength for one more sprint, or at least let me use the last bit of pixie dust to take it by the horns to drag it across the finish line in victory. During its reign, I've lived in 3 states, had a few different jobs, lost some friends, made new ones, loved and lost, learned a lot.

It's easy, among all the Christmas cartoons and shiny ornaments to be homesick for simpler bygone times, but the truth is, life has never been simple. I think that's what I want for next year: just some simplicity. I've learned to fly. I've learned to fight. I've had my adventures on the pirate ship. I think I'm ready to just be home.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Simplicity is a wonderful thing. I will agree with that 100%. To simplicity, in 2010. And to staying young forever!