I've been prompted by Melissa to tell you seven random/weird facts about me:
1. I hate to be wet. Aside from the obvious, necessary personal hygeine, I only make one or two exceptions a year to go swimming if it's really hot outside. The only thing worse than being wet is being cold and wet.
2. I am allergic to guinea pigs--not rabbits, mice, hamsters or any other rodents I've encountered, but learned the anaphylactic way that guinea pigs are not my friends.
3. I started off as a music major at Christopher Newport University (principal instrument cello) and ended up with a B.A. in English/Professional Writing from Old Dominion.
4. I am exactly six feet tall and have no talent whatsoever for basketball or volleyball.
5. I have nearly 30 first cousins and after trying just now, can name 21 off the top of my head.
6. I don't eat red meat. There's no deeper reason than simply losing the taste for it after working a fast food job in high school.
7. I love technology when it comes to communication and media (definitely addicted to my iPod), but am practically a Luddite concerning writing. I love to send actual letters (though my local branch of the postal service is adept at mangling and misdirecting things); I write first drafts of stories with a fountain pen; I print out things I have to edit so I can mark it up. This does tend to create more work, but it's a lot easier to carry a notebook than a laptop, and there's just something satisfying about holding the pen and seeing my words come out of it to stain the paper in whatever color I've chosen.
Anyone who wants can consider themselves tagged. I don't usually do these chain-lettery things, but thought this was kind of a neat getting-to-know-you exercise.
2 comments:
7. I love the thought of pen and paper, and this may be me since I'm out of practice, but doesn't your hand hurt after a while? I spent 6 years as a copy editor /assistant news editor and when proofing newspaper pages, speed is key over handwriting ... so my handwriting became terrible! Now that I'm not doing that job my handwriting has improved but I've noticed the hand hurting after too much! Maybe I'm just a wuss ...
It depends on the pen I'm using. For high-volume writing, I use a Sensa Meridian, which has a really cushy wrap around the part of the barrel where your fingers rest against it. Sensa has gone under, so no one's making them anymore, but on the bright side, Swisher and other pen retailers bought tons of them and are now selling them dirt cheap!
Post a Comment