11 January, 2010

Mostly True Stories #1

I love that people tell me their stories. My head is full of these memories, details, and endings that I've decided shouldn't stay locked in my head. Therefore, with no specific number in mind, I'll post one a day until I don't feel like doing it anymore or you beg me to stop. I say they'll be mostly true because I will change names and other details that would reveal the subjects' identities. I might also embellish to fill in details where the memory has gotten fuzzy. Before you ask, yes - some of the stories are mine, and while you're welcome to guess, I won't tell which they are. If you know me well and already know the stories, I'll ask you to just bear with me and not rat me out!

Mostly True Story #1: It Really Does Happen

This is the story that inspired this exercise, and I think it's one of the best things that's ever happened. It's a short tale, but a sweet one.

Maeve was 18 years old when she got on an airplane for the first time in her life. Her big sister Belle had left Ireland the year before to get married in America, and she'd asked Maeve to come and housesit for her while she and her husband went on a long trip away. Excited and nervous, Maeve arrived in California only to find that she instantly felt at home.

On her first day alone, she went out to explore the town. During her outing, she met Miguel, a Mexican-American guy about her age, who was newly enlisted in the Army. She'd never seen anyone so beautiful in her life, and she knew she wanted to be with him always. And wouldn't you know, Miguel saw her too.

When Belle returned home a few weeks later and met her new brother-in-law, she was shocked and convinced that Maeve and Miguel would never last. I have faith though. By the time I was sitting on the sun-porch, drinking iced tea and bantering with their parrot, Maeve and Miguel were expecting a visit from their youngest daughter, who was bringing her own daughter over for a visit. I think this marriage is gonna stick.

There you have it: love at first sight. It happened, and I swear that part is true.

2 comments:

Carrie Clevenger said...

I think I will enjoy this very much. :)

Melissa said...

Awe. What a wonderful story!